Rebecca Hudson Breen is an Assistant Professor of Counselling Psychology in the Department of Educational Psychology, Faculty of Education, University of Alberta. Research interests include the career-life experiences of mother entrepreneurs, and the multiple roles and career-life experiences of parents, more broadly. Her current research focuses on the role of work and career-life in addictions recovery.
The Career Counsellors Chapter was officially established in May 1995, at the CCPA (known then as the Canadian Guidance and Counselling Association) Annual conference, in St. John’s Newfoundland, through a motion of the Board. A small but dedicated group of individuals established the Constitution and elected the first Executive. Concerns raised at that time which set the direction of the chapter included the wide variety of practitioners whose training was diverse and from differing service mandates, no organization to monitor or influence professional development needs of this group, the quality of service delivery, training standards, and ethics. Seven objectives were established in the Chapter Constitution to support counsellors working in the field regardless of their training or background, or their specific work functions. The chapter objectives are:
- To promote the practice of career development in Canada
- To provide a forum for discussion of issues important to the field of career development
- To provide professional development in the area of career development
- To provide a forum for mentoring practitioners, researchers, and policy makers new to the field of career development
- To provide a means by which practitioners, researchers, and policy makers working in the areas of career development can assist one another in developing new programs, methods, or research proposals pertinent to career development
- To serve, with full collaboration and consultation with (CCPA), as a means to interact with government departments and / or groups for the purpose of promoting career development
- To serve as a link with CCPA thereby providing for the presentation of mutually sought aims and objectives.
The Chapter has set up an award to honour Dr. Vance Peavy. The award is for a student studying in the field of career development. In meeting some of the original goals the chapter saw the development of its own web page begin in September 1998, the CDC Bulletin on line 2001, and the establishment of its own listserv through CCPA in 2005. The Career Counsellors Chapter, and its members, continues to strive to meet the original goals and objectives set in its constitution and mandate. The primary function of the chapter is to support career development practitioners in the field, to provide materials for quality service for consumers, to create and recognize new initiatives in the field. The chapter has proven its leadership in the development of the standards and initiatives to benefit the field of career development practice in Canada today.
Teresa is a career counsellor, consultant and specialist in Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition. Having held positions in counselling, teaching, program development and management in secondary, post-secondary, and not-for-profit settings, Teresa established her own career counselling and consulting practice in 2015.
Judith MacKinnon has been Career Counsellor and faculty member within Sheridan Student Services for more than 15 years. She is passionate about student development and has had the wonderful opportunity to work in a number of provinces across Canada. She has completed an M.Ed. in Counselling and an M.A in Critical Disability Studies.
Send a message to one of our Career Counsellors Chapter board members!
Constitution and By-laws
The Chapter’s bylaws are a set of rules that control the actions of its members and govern the internal management of the Chapter.
Reports & Minutes
- Survey Results AGM 2018
- Chapter Report 2018
- 2018 AGM Minutes
- 2017 AGM Minutes
- Chapter Report - 2017
- Research Subcommittee Report 2014
- 2016 AGM Minutes
- Chapter Report 2016
- Annual Social Media Report - 2015
- 2015 AGM Minutes
- Financial Report - May 2015
- Chapter Report - May 2015
- 2015 AGM Agenda and Notice of Motion
- 2014 AGM Minutes
- Financial Report - May 2014
- Chapter Report - April 2014
The following are awarded by the Career Counsellors Chapter
The CC Chapter Brochure contains information regarding the chapter.
Links and Resources