Counselling vs. Psychotherapy

Posted by: Maritza Rodriguez on July 8, 2011 11:54 am

One of the questions I am often asked is what is the difference between counselling and psychotherapy? The terms are often used interchangeably and synonymously but there is a slight and distinctive difference. Psychotherapy is often treatment based in response to a diagnosable mental health issue such as depression, bi-polar disorder, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, adjustment disorder, etc. It is often in-depth and used in conjunction with psychotropic medication, but not necessarily. Counselling tends to be wellness oriented, providing increased insight and learning how to effectively overcome problems and challenges.

Despite the difference, the professional engaging in counselling or psychotherapy is often the same person. The approach usually changes as a result of the presenting problem of the client. As the profession is not licensed in Canada yet, a psychotherapist should have at least a Master Degree with experience with treating diagnosable mental illness. At a minimum, a new psychotherapist should have a supervised practicum.  Ultimately, however, a counsellor should also have earned a Master Degree and have a supervised practicum.

Experience is the main factor in choosing a psychotherapist versus counsellor, taking into consideration the reason behind choosing to engage in therapy. If you are experiencing symptoms or problems that are significantly negatively impacting one or more aspects of your life (i.e. relationships, work, health, etc) then it is important to get a referral or seek out a psychotherapist with the knowledge and skill to treat the problem. If you are experiencing challenges or a major transition that is affecting your mood and aspects of your life and you want to learn effective coping skills and gain insight into your thoughts and  behaviors, than seek out a counsellor.

It should be noted that counsellors and psychotherapists use many of the same techniques and theories such as behavior modification and cognitive therapy. It is important to do your research to make an educated decision.

*The views expressed by our authors are personal opinions and do not necessarily reflect the views of the CCPA

2 comments on “Counselling vs. Psychotherapy”

  1. Kristen McCarthy says:

    Hi, I have the same question as Cynthia, in terms of looking at programs but not fully understanding the implications of being associated to the CPCA & ACCT, but not the CCPA. Thank you Kristen

  2. cynthia says:


    I am about to choose a program in Counselling through Canada, I am from Québec but I reside in BC, where I am planning on making a career. I would like this program to offer the most possibilities and one that would open as many doors as possible for a long-term career. I am looking at the Kelowna College of Professional Counselling and at the Clearmind International Institute. That last one recognizes CPCA and ACCT. Those aren’t connected to the CCPA at all? Is there a way I could be certified CCPA with any of those programs? Without this association certificate will I be limited in my practice?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *