Are you hungry, angry, lonely or tired? (Or all of the above?) If yes, know that it is time to halt; I mean stop everything as these are the beginning stages of burnout.
Watching out for the signs of burn out is so important to make sure that our job is one that is still enjoyable and helpful to our beloved clients.
Some signs you are starting to burn out and in need of HALTing everything are:
- You begin to experience your empathy levels going down. Or in your mind you hear yourself saying “Could you get the point!” when working with your client.
- You start sharing your own personal story in a way that is not helpful to your client. Boundaries are starting to fade as you are not cognizant that this is going on.
- Being late often because you are going overtime with the clients.
- You are exhausted at the end of your day in a way that does not seem to be solved by a good night’s sleep.
- You are losing passion and you are bored frequently.
- You have not done any personal work in a while and you are losing touch with self.
- You bring home your clients problems in your mind.
- You feel resentful of your clients.
- You are happy when they cancel.
*The views expressed by our authors are personal opinions and do not necessarily reflect the views of the CCPA