Are you a CCPA member?
Do you want to enhance your leadership skills and
make positive contributions to CCPA?
This event is just for you!
In November 2017, the Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association (CCPA) is hosting a two-day leadership training event in Ottawa. We are inviting up to seventeen CCPA members (one from each province/territory except New Brunswick, Quebec and Ontario which will have two to enable francophone and anglophone representation, and 1 Indigenous representative) for two days of networking, information sharing, and skills training. Our goal? To demystify CCPA Board and Chapter activities and to encourage members to become more actively involved in the Association. Together, we are building the foundation for the next generation of CCPA volunteers and leaders! This event builds on the success of the inaugural CCPA leadership forum held in 2015. In the words of one of the participants:
This was an all around excellent experience and I left feeling refreshed and motivated to become more involved with CCPA. I would definitely recommend this to colleagues.
With over 6,100 members across Canada, CCPA is passionately committed to leadership development within our growing profession. Participation and leadership in CCPA is demonstrated at all levels of the organization, including the National Board of Directors, National Office, Chapters, and related committees and task groups—just to name a few. Successful leaders at all levels of CCPA typically demonstrate enthusiasm, integrity, accountability, results, and team effectiveness to aid our Association in advancing its mandate of being a national voice for the counselling and psychotherapy profession in Canada.
When? The two day leadership training event will be held on November 15-16, 2017. Applicants must commit to being present for the entire two-day event.
Where? Ottawa, ON.
What Will Participants Do?
- Attend in person the two-day event in Ottawa.
- Participate in leadership development workshop activities.
- Develop a personalized service-focused action plan and timeline.
- Develop a plan to become a member of a CCPA Committee, Chapter Board, Task Group, or CCPA Board of Directors.
- Access supports from CCPA’s National Office.
- Provide quarterly updates on progress towards their leadership goals.
Who May Apply? CCPA members of 5 years or more who are in good standing and who are interested in increasing their involvement within CCPA. (Former or current Chapter Presidents or members of the CCPA Board of Directors are not eligible to apply.)
How Do I Apply?
- Current résumé;
- A description of why you would be a suitable participant;
- One letter of recommendation describing your community- or organization-based involvement;
- Up to two letters of support from colleagues, supervisors, mentors, counsellor educators, or other individuals who are familiar with your professional accomplishments and experiences; and,
- Examples of previous profession-related service activities within the past five (5) years.
Complete the application form found below.
The application form and accompanying documents must be received by the CCPA National Office by July 28, 2017 (5:00 pm Eastern Time). Applications will then be reviewed by a team of three independent reviewers in terms of application completeness and criteria listed below. Successful applicants will be notified by August 31, 2017. Successful applicants will have their travel, accommodations and meals provided by CCPA.
How will Successful Candidates be Determined?
The criteria to determine successful candidates for the Leaders of Tomorrow Development Program are based on information provided by the applicant in the following areas:
- Perspective on volunteerism and professional service;
- Professional learning and mentoring;
- Community, agency, or association involvement;
- Continuous learning and professional development;
- Process-based thinking and results-based orientation; and
- Professional integrity and commitment.
Applications will be reviewed by an independent body of three reviewers. Their decisions will be presented to the CCPA Executive. Based on the overall review, candidates will be selected to fill the 17 seats available for the leadership forum. In the event that there are no qualified applicants from one or more provinces/territories, vacant seats will be filled by qualified applicants across all provinces and territories.